Disclaimer: Some pages on this website may include an affiliate link. This does not affect our editorial in any way.
The main reason you need a VPN on an Xbox One is undoubtedly to bypass geo-restrictions and avoid censorship issues. By changing your IP address, you gain access to content otherwise unavailable to your region, while protecting your data from would-be hackers.
Unfortunately, like most gaming consoles, Xbox One doesn’t come with native VPN support. On the plus side, you can work around these limitations with some workarounds. In this article, we will show you how to use a VPN on an Xbox One using a Wi-Fi router or using your computer.
How to use a VPN on an Xbox One using a Windows PC
Another way to do this is by using your computer as the middleman. However, to make it work, you’re going to need an Ethernet cable. Also make sure your subscription is still active.
If all conditions are met, this is how to use a VPN on an Xbox One using a Windows PC:
- sign up for a VPN
- Download ExpressVPN to your computer.
- Plug the Ethernet cable into your Xbox One. The port is usually located on the back of the console.
- Plug the other end of the cable into your computer.
- Go to “Control Panel” and open the “Network and Sharing Center” tab.
- Select “Change adapter settings” from the list of options on the left.
- Find the title of your VPN and right click to access “Properties”.
- Click on “Sharing Tab” and enable other users to connect to the network through your computer.
Test the VPN connection on your Xbox One by trying to access a game that you know is not available for your region. If all is well, you should be able to play it without any problems. If not, try the good old “disconnect, then reconnect” method with the Ethernet cable.
How to use a VPN on an Xbox One through a Mac
Apple users need not worry as there is a similar solution for macOS devices as well. In fact, you need the same ingredients (an Ethernet cable and an active subscription) to use a VPN on your Xbox One. The process is pretty straight forward and requires the following steps:
Limited offer: 3 months FREE!
- Sign up for a secure VPN like ExpressVPN
- Install ExpressVPN on your Mac.
- Connect the Ethernet cable to connect the Xbox One to the computer.
- On your Mac, open “System Preferences.” Click on “Sharing” and then select “Internet Sharing” from the list of options on the left.
- A drop-down menu titled “Share your connection” will appear. Select “Wi-Fi.”
- Select the Ethernet cable from the list of devices allowed to use the network.
- Check the box next to “Internet Sharing” on the left side of the list. If the Xbox One is successfully connected to your Mac, a small green symbol will appear.
- Finally, open your chosen VPN service and connect it to your computer.
If the two devices are successfully connected, you should be able to use a VPN on your Xbox One.
How to use a VPN on an Xbox One Through a router
The third option for using a VPN with an Xbox One is to set up a VPN on your Wi-Fi router and then use the service on your console with a little effort. You can check out our complete guide covering instructions for installing a VPN on your router. The guide covers many of the most popular brands. If you’re just looking for some high-level instructions for guidance, here’s what you do:
- subscribe to ExpressVPN for a VPN account.
- Log in to your chosen VPN service account.
- Find the router’s IP address.
- Use the IP address to log into the router.
- You should find the tab that controls the network connection. Depending on the device, it may be listed under different titles (eg “WAN Setup,” “Network”).
- Enter the details of your chosen VPN service.
- Turn on your Xbox One and bring up “Guide”.
- Go to “Settings,” then “General,” then “Network Settings.”
- Hold “A” and choose to set up a wireless network.
- Configure the console to use the router connected to your VPN.
VPN services typically offer step-by-step instructions on how to do this, so be sure to check your chosen provider’s website for more information.
Will my internet gaming speed or ping be affected while using a VPN?
Maintaining a low ping is extremely important when it comes to gaming, be it casual or pro. By using a VPN on your Xbox One, there is a small chance that it will affect your speed. A VPN tends to send more data than the standard ISP packet, resulting in a reduced ping. This is especially the case when playing online games.
However, in some situations, a VPN can help you. Let’s say there is an internet outage in your area. You can use a VPN to switch to another server and bypass the problem. Also, if you’re in a place with limited internet access, like a school, a VPN can encrypt your connection and break through any blocking set by network administrators. This way you will be able to access blocked sites in the school with a decent ping.
Why doesn’t Xbox allow VPN apps?
Most gaming consoles, including Xbox One, simply do not have native VPN support. The main reason is that VPN services usually set an upper limit on how much bandwidth you can use. Less bandwidth can lead to lag issues and higher ping, which for most players.
Can all VPNs work at the router level?
Not all routers are compatible with VPN services. Before buying one, check the features in the product list. Otherwise, you’ll have to replace it later down the road.
Fortunately, some modern routers come with built-in VPN support. The best part is, you don’t have to look hard to find them. Most leading VPN providers, such as ExpressVPNincludes a selection of recommended VPN routers on their websites.
Are there any free VPNs that work with the Xbox One?
There are, but we wouldn’t recommend them. The speed and privacy of a free provider is not safe or secure. A paid provider like ExpressVPN is the better source.
Cheer your way to victory
Although Xbox One doesn’t offer native support for VPN services, there are a few ways around it. You can use your router to connect the console to the VPN if you have the right device. There is also the option of using an Ethernet cable to connect the Xbox to a PC with VPN software. The latter works for both Mac and Windows computers, which is quite convenient.
When it comes to gaming, however, a VPN is a double-edged sword. Sure, it can give you access to otherwise restricted content. But on the other hand, it can seriously mess with your ping. Choosing the right supplier can be the deciding factor. A solid free VPN can work in your favor. However, the safest option is to sign up for a reliable service such as ExpressVPN.
Do you often use a VPN while gaming? Who is your preferred supplier? Comment below and tell us if there is another way to use a VPN on an Xbox One.