Disclaimer: Some pages on this website may include an affiliate link. This does not affect our editorial in any way.
If you are a gamer, then you are probably familiar with geo-restrictions. Certain games are restricted by country or region, and some countries have restrictive censorship laws that make Steam inaccessible. If you want to access restricted content on Steam and include better prices while at home or abroad, VPN technology can help change the region of your network so that you can successfully log in and play any title you want .
In this article, we’ll show you how to use a VPN with Steam so you can bypass geo-restrictions and access any game on Steam, no matter where you live.
Why Use a VPN with Steam
Steam is a popular digital distribution platform that lets you buy and play games. It has more than 120 million active users, with more than 50,000 titles available on the service. One of its most popular features is playing multiplayer online games with friends or strangers located anywhere in the world. However, some of these games may be restricted by country or region.
Geo-restrictions are frustrating. They can prevent you from playing your favorite game, seeing the latest releases, or even accessing an online service like Steam. For gamers who want to access restricted content, using VPN technology to change the region of their network is a viable option.
A virtual private network, or VPN, disguises your IP address and encrypts your data to protect you from surveillance. A VPN masks your online activity by providing an IP address in another country with a more extensive game library, pocket-friendly prices, or more lenient censorship laws.
The process of using VPN technology to change your region is called “changing the geolocation” or “spoofing your location.”
Limited offer: 3 months FREE!
Although there are several VPN services on the market today, most gamers prefer to use them ExpressVPNand for a good reason.
Benefits of using ExpressVPN for Steam
Whether you want to unlock new games or just want to protect your privacy, ExpressVPN is the perfect VPN for you. The service has tons of features that make it safe and easy to use.
Unlimited server switches
With ExpressVPN, players can access 160 servers in over 94 countries. You can switch servers as often as you like without worrying about the safety and security of your data. For example, if you’re in Chicago, you can connect to a server in East London and enjoy titles only available in the UK
With a reliable VPN, you have a better chance of accessing a server in a country where your favorite game is not censored.
Excellent compatibility with devices
ExpressVPN can be set up for any device, including Mac, Android, iOS, Windows, and routers. It is designed with advanced features that give you the freedom to stream in HD or download anything you want without any limitation or retention logs.
Another feature that makes ExpressVPN Standing out from competitors is the unlimited bandwidth. There is no monthly limit or throttling by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). This means you can lock in lightning-fast browsing speeds from the start to the end of your subscription cycle.
The service comes with an awesome feature called split tunneling, which sends some of your traffic through their encrypted virtual private network (VPN) tunnel, but routes the rest through a separate tunnel on the open network.
This means you don’t have to worry about ExpressVPN slowing down your internet connection.
Ease of use
Setting up ExpressVPN is as easy as installing the app and connecting your device to a secure server; you don’t need technical skills to use it.
How to use a VPN with Steam
To use a VPN like ExpressVPN on Steam, you need to go through two main steps:
Set up your VPN
Setting up a VPN with ExpressVPN is relatively simple. If you already have ExpressVPN, you can skip to the next section.
- Visit the official website and sign up for an account.
- Get a subscription plan that fits your needs. You can go with a monthly plan, semi-annual plan, or even an annual plan.
- Install the ExpressVPN app on your device. There is a version for any device, including Android, iOS, Windows and Mac.
- Once the app is installed on your device, launch it and enter your credentials to login.
- On the app’s home screen, click the “On” icon to activate the service. At this point, the app will automatically select a smart location for you. It is the server location that optimizes your experience in terms of speed, latency and distance. If you don’t have a specific server location in mind, you can choose the app’s choice. But if you are keen to tunnel your traffic through a server in a specific location, continue to step 6.
- Tap the ellipsis (three small dots) on the home page.
- Tap “Recommended” to choose one of the servers that see the most traffic among ExpressVPN users. To see an extensive list of all the servers you can use, tap “All Locations.”
- Tap any country on the list to see the cities that host a VPN server. For example, if you go with the United Kingdom, you can choose a server in London.
After selecting your preferred server location, ExpressVPN automatically connects, setting you up nicely for anonymous browsing. You can now participate in multiplayer games impersonating a player from the country selected during the setup process.
In addition, you can now browse Steam and other platforms over the Internet without worrying too much about exposing your data to hackers and other malicious actors in the digital arena.
Buy games from the store that you want
The cost of a game on Steam often varies depending on where you live. For example, a player in Asia will not pay the same price as another in the US, even if the title in question is the same.
Regional prices usually reflect issues such as the cost of living and license fees charged by the local content authorities.
With a VPN enabled on your device, you can change your Steam store country and buy games from any other store worldwide.
Here’s how to go about it:
- Start Steam and go to the menu.
- Click on “Account Details.”
- Select “Update store country.” At this point, Steam’s algorithms will automatically detect your location (either your ExpressVPN Smart Location or any other location of your choice). You cannot enter a location manually.
- Go to the “Store”, select the title you want to buy and add it to your cart.
- Click on “Buy for Myself.”
- Choose a payment method on the pop-up screen.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to set up your billing information.
- Select your new country to complete the purchase.
As easy as it all sounds, there is a catch: To successfully shop in a given store, you must add a payment method registered in that country. For example, if you buy a game on the UK Steam store with a Visa card, your card must be registered in the UK
Unlock your favorite titles
Steam is a fantastic gaming platform with thousands of titles to choose from. Unfortunately, you can only enjoy the approved games in your region, and the company’s regional pricing means you won’t always get the best deal.
The good thing is that a VPN can help you bypass these restrictions and buy any game you want from whichever store you want.
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for Steam. It’s fast, reliable, has plenty of servers to choose from, and offers a money-back guarantee so you can try it risk-free. Never worry about lag again with ExpressVPN on your side.
Now that you know how to use a VPN with Steam and the benefits of doing so, would you give it a try? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.