If you play your PS5 regularly, you may have experienced problems locking your games. While intuitive and not very different from the PS4, the newer console does differ when it comes to options like locking games.
In this article, we will explain how to close games and apps on a PS5.
How to Lock Games on a PS5
Before we dive into the steps, keep in mind that the PS5 will always automatically close apps and games running in the background when you turn off your console. However, if you allow the console to do this repeatedly, there is a chance that an error will appear that freezes your game.
It is also important to close apps running in the background while playing games on your PS5. This makes the console work smoothly and without lag. For example, you can play a game with an app like Netflix playing in the background. Designers have added this feature for the ease of use of switching between applications.
Unfortunately, this can also negatively affect performance.
Here’s how to lock games on your PS5:
- Press and hold the PlayStation button on your controller to access the Control Center.
- In the control center, select “Switcher” to see a list of all the games and applications running in the background.
- Find the game you want to turn off in the list and select it.
- You will have three options. Select “Close Game” to confirm your decision to close the game.
- The game will now close and you will be taken back to the home screen. Wait for the game to close completely and stop running in the background before starting another game or application.
On occasion, your PS5 will automatically shut down various apps and games in the background. This happens when you turn off your PS5, start another game from your home screen, or use the switch function to switch between different games.
But if you exit a game by going back to the home screen, the PS5 won’t turn it off. So this is the ideal time to use the steps above.
How to unfreeze your PS5
If you have too many games and media programs running in the background, your PS5 will freeze. Don’t worry, there are solutions to this problem.
- Restart the console by pressing and holding the power button. Your PS5 should beep twice.
- Wait a while for the system to shut down completely before trying to restart it.
- If restarting the console doesn’t work, try closing the game or app by following the steps mentioned above.
In most cases, restarting your PS5 or closing the game will unfreeze your PS5. If not, there are a few extra steps you can take.
Extra steps to unfreeze your PS5
Even if your PS5 is still frozen, all is not lost. You restarted the system and tried to close the background games, so now what?
- Start by checking for system updates. Go to the settings menu, select “System” and then “Update System Software.” Any available updates should appear for you to download and install.
- You can try to reinstall your game by navigating to the game on the “Game Home Screen”. You then select the option button before deleting it. After this, reinstall your game.
How to rebuild your PS5 database
In cases of persistent freeze with many games, Sony recommends rebuilding your system database. It scans the drive and creates a new database for all your content. This can be time consuming depending on how much data you have.
- Connect your controller to your PS5. Connect your DualSense wireless controller to your PS5 with a USB cable.
- Turn on your PS5 by pressing the power button on your PS5. Your system must be in “Safe Mode”.
- Select “Rebuild Database.” In Safe Mode, use the D-pad on your controller to select it.
- The rebuild process may take a few minutes to complete, depending on the amount of data on your PS5. Wait for the process to finish, then restart your PS5.
We also recommend backing up important data to an external storage device or cloud. This is just a precaution to avoid any data corruption.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will rebuilding my PS5 database delete my game progress?
Rebuilding your PS5 database should not delete any of your data or progress. This makes the console more responsive and scans your disk for a new database. Unless your memory is corrupted, your saved progress, games, data, and settings should be intact.
Should I factory reset my PS5?
Factory reset is something we would only recommend in extreme situations. Factory reset is a good option for when you want to sell your PS5. This will restore it to the default settings. This means that all personal information will be deleted from the console’s memory.
When should I contact Sony?
If all the methods above fail and your games still freeze, you can contact Sony to help you fix the problem. Sony recommends that you have your PS5 serial number and purchase information ready when you contact them for assistance.
Close your games to play smoothly
Locking all your games and apps is helpful to ensure PS5 performance. Keeping too many apps open in the background can sometimes lead to freezing and degradation. Fortunately, there are ways to keep your PS5 running smoothly without apps running in the background.
Having trouble locking games on your PS5? Have you used any of the tips featured in this article? Let us know in the comments section below.