Every VR enthusiast’s dream of cable-free gaming became a reality when Oculus introduced their Air Link technology. These advances provided greater mobility and ease of play.
If you’re willing to ditch the cables and take advantage of the wireless option, this article will help you get things set up and fully enjoy your VR adventure.
What you need for Air Link
To make the Air Link connection work as intended, you need the following:
- A proper Windows-based computer with a good graphics card (Windows 10 or later versions; a GPU equivalent of GTX 1060 with 6 GB of memory or better; and a CPU equivalent of Intel i5 – 4590 or AMD Ryzen 5 1500X or better).
- Oculus Quest 2 software you can download from Meta’s official Oculus page.
- A strong and stable Internet connection, with your computer connected to the router via Ethernet cable (other wirelessly connected devices can affect the current).
Air Link PC Settings
To connect the headset, you need to prepare the computer by installing the Oculus software and enabling the Air Link. The process goes as follows:
- Download and install the desktop client from the official Oculus page.
- Register an account, or register via Facebook profile as it is Meta’s service. Once you have installed the software, log in to your account.
- Click on the “Settings” option, the last one on the sidebar on the left.
- Click on the “Beta” tab, at the top of the window in that menu.
- Turn the “Air Link” button “ON” by clicking on it.
You have successfully activated Air Link. However, your work is not yet complete. Keep in mind, as mentioned under the activation button, if not used for 24 hours, the Air Link will automatically turn off.
Oculus Quest 2 Settings
Now that your computer is properly set up, the next part is setting up your Quest 2 headset. To use Air Link, your headset’s firmware must be on version 28 or later. If that condition is met, follow these steps to enable it:
- Enter the Oculus Quest hub and find the options bar below the game selection screen. Click on the last option on the right “Settings”, marked with a gear icon.
- Scroll down the menu and find the “Experimental Features” tab and the “Air Link” enable button.
- Go back to the settings menu and click on the “Quick actions” tab at the top.
- “Oculus Air Link” should appear as the third option. Click on it and you should be able to see your computer on the list.
- Click on your computer, and then on the blue “Pair” button. This should take you back to the game selection menu.
Now your headphones and computer are paired and ready to use.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use Oculus Quest 2 with Air Link on Mac?
Unfortunately no. Currently, both models of Oculus Quest are only compatible with Windows-based machines.
Is my computer up to standard to run Oculus games?
It requires a good gaming PC to run and stream Oculus games. Fortunately, there is no need to risk buying it blind. there’s a free tools by Valve that you can use to check if your PC is VR compatible, be it Oculus or any other headset. If your score on it is in the green area, you’re good to go!
Good luck with your search!
Being able to enjoy virtual reality and fully immerse yourself in the world of gaming really shows how much technology has advanced in the past few decades. It also remains to be seen if VR gaming will just be a gimmick, or will there be more advanced and story-driven games for it to become a genre of its own.
Have you tried any VR headset so far? Do you think the future of gaming lies in VR? What is your favorite Oculus Quest game? Let us know in the comments section below.