Discord boasts many exciting features, such as communicating with other players or friends through groups. However, all members of a group should avoid spamming and trolling. If they do not comply with these rules, the server moderators have the authority to ban them.
But what if they accidentally ban someone? Is it possible to unban that person? Also, are the steps different or the same if you use MEE6, Dyno, or Carl? Find out in this guide.
How to unban someone on Discord
The most straightforward way to unban someone on Discord is to do it with a computer. However, keep in mind that you can only do this if you are an administrator of a server. Whether you’re a Mac, Windows, or Chromebook user, the process is going to remain the same. Here’s how to unban someone on Discord with just a few clicks:
- Start disagreement on your computer.
- Go to the server or channel you want to ban someone from.
- Click the down arrow at the top left of the screen next to the server name. Doing so will open the dropdown menu.
- Click on Server settings.
- Tap up Ban at the bottom of the page menu on the left. There will be a list of all banned users on the right.
- Select the member to unban. You can type the person’s name in the search box if there are many banned members.
- A pop-up message will appear asking you to choose whether you want to revoke a ban. Click on Repeal ban.
Once you follow these steps, the banned member can use the server again.
An easier way to unban someone on any Discord server is by accessing the settings from the server list. Here’s how to do it:
- open disagreementand look at the servers on the left side of the page.
- Select the one you banned a person from.
- Right click on the server and click on Server settings from the drop-down menu.
- Tap up Overview.
- Scroll down in the sidebar and select Ban.
- Tap on the person you want to unban. Then check if it is the right user and their ID.
- Click on Repeal ban.
It’s that simple! The person will now be allowed to use the server.
How to Unban Someone on Discord on Android or iPhone
If you use Discord on your smartphone and want to unban a member, know that the steps will be the same whether you are an Android or an iPhone user. Here’s what you need to do:
- Start disagreement on your smartphone.
- Select the server on the left from which you have banned a member.
- Click on the three-dot icon top left of the screen.
- Tap on the gear icon.
- Tap up Ban.
- Tap on their name.
- Finally, click on Unbanned.
How to temporarily ban someone
Maybe you want to temporarily ban members. Unfortunately, it is not possible to set a temporary ban using Discord’s native features. But you can set a ‘Timeout’ role and use a bot to automatically assign members to that role.
Here’s what to do:
- open disagreement and navigate to the server.
- Right click on the server and click servers.
- Click roles.
- Click Create Role.
- Name your timeout roll. then click Permissions at the top.
- Scroll through the list and turn off permissions.
- Click Save changes to create the Timeout role.
You can create the Timeout role to completely restrict users from interacting with your server. If you want to automatically assign members to this role, you can use a bot.
Check out this article if you’re not sure how to use a bot to set up automatic roles in Discord.
How to Ban Someone on Discord IP
Generally, all bans on Discord are IP-based. This means that when a moderator bans a user, they ban all other people using the same IP address from accessing the server in question. So keep this in mind when you decide to ban a member. To ban someone by IP, whether you use Dyno, Carl or MEE6 as your rolbot, this is what you need to do:
- open disagreement on your computer.
- Select the server on the left side of the screen.
- Tap on the member you want to ban.
- Right click on their name and search Prohibit from the drop-down menu.
- You will see the pop-up menu. Here it is possible to delete the member’s comments.
- Write in the comment box why you are banning this person.
- Type Prohibit.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
If there’s anything else you’re interested in finding out about Discord bans, check out the following section:
Is the ban on dissent permanent?
Whether the ban is permanent on Discord depends on the type of ban involved. Server bans occur when a moderator bans a member from a specific server. This means that anyone using the same IP address cannot access that server. This ban need not be permanent. The moderator can decide to unban that person, so they will be allowed back into the server.
However, there are also system-wide bans. The Discord Trust & Safety team will ban accounts. This ban is permanent and prevents the user from using the entire Discord platform.
What happens if you ban someone on Discord?
When a moderator bans someone on Discord, this member cannot post on the server, see messages, send or receive voice chats. They also cannot see other users on the server they are banned from. Since this ban is based on IP, other people using the same IP address will not be able to access the same server.
The person you banned will not get a notification. But when they try to enter the server, they will see a message that the link has expired.
Can I be unbanned on Discord?
Unless a moderator decides to unban a member, there is no way to do it yourself. However, a banning member can reach out to the server moderator, apologize for whatever this person got them banned for, and hope they will rescind the ban. But remember that this is only possible if the moderator has not blocked you as well. If this is the case, you will not be able to send them a message.
If Discord has banned a member, the only way to get unbanned is to contact Discord and appeal. Affiliated members can write about the problem in detail and hope for the best. Here’s what to do to write to Discord:
• Go to the Discord Support Page.
• Select Trust and Security under Send a request.
• Select Trust and Security in the drop down menu below Send a request.
• Fill in the form. choose Appeals, age update, other questions of the How can we help? menu.
• Attach any documents that support your appeal.
• Click submission.
Can you ban someone again after unbanning them on Discord?
Even if a moderator revokes a ban, it is still possible to ban a member again if there is a good reason to do so. The moderator should follow the same steps they did the first time to ban this member.
Banning Discord Members
Whether you’re using Discord on your computer or a smartphone, it’s possible to unban a member you’ve previously banned. Maybe you made a mistake, or they sent a message apologizing, so you decide to unban.
Keep in mind that if that member breaks the rules at any point, you can ban them again. Since it’s IP based ban, they won’t be able to use the server even if they create a different account but still use the same IP address.
Have you managed to unban a member on Discord? Did you experience any problems? Had to ban the same member twice? Let us know your banning experience and the most common reasons why members are banned – our community would love to hear more.