Many Sims 4 players will enjoy how the game looks and works as it is. However, members of the online Sims community have spent countless hours developing content to enrich and improve the game and bring it to new heights. Mods allow you to get new features out of a game and change how some old features work.
The good news is that mods aren’t complicated to install, but you still need to pay attention to a few details to get the most out of them. The process is slightly more challenging for mods than Custom Content (CC), but both follow a similar installation pattern.
How to install mods in Sims 4 on PC
Installing mods may sound simple, but it consists of a few steps and can take a while depending on the size of the files you download. The steps include:
- Enable mods in the game.
- Download the mods.
- Extract the files from the closed folder (optional, not applicable for some mods).
- Place the files in the correct location.
- Start the game with mods.
By default, the game will not recognize mods, so you need to enable them. After the game receives a new patch or update, these settings may be disabled, so you’ll need to go back and re-enable them.
Once you’ve enabled mods in Sims 4, the game will automatically create a Mods folder in your Sims 4 Documents folder. The directory is usually found in this directory:
- Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4/Mods
Use File Explorer to open the Documents folder directly.
Most mods come in the form of zipped files. You will need a program like WinRAR or 7Zip to open these folders and extract the raw files where you need them.
Before downloading a mod, check if it is compatible with the current version of the Sims 4 you are running on your device. Outdated mods can be buggy, not run at all, or can corrupt other parts of the game.
Installing the Mods
Installing the mods is somewhat of a misnomer as you don’t have to follow an installation process. Once you’ve downloaded the mod files and opened them with an unzip program, the steps will differ based on the type of mod you’re downloading. There are four main categories:
- Custom content and general mods: These files end in .package. Open the Mod file that created the game (Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4/Mods) and copy all the mod files to the folder. You can create additional subfolders to better organize your growing mod collection.
- Many and new Sims: If you want to open more lots on the map, mods that enable them use the following extensions: .bpi, .blueprint, .trayitem. These files go in the Tray folder in the Sims 4 Documents (Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4/Tray).
- Script mods: Script mods change how the game functions in some way (custom careers, for example) and use the .ts4script extension. They can also use other files. If you downloaded a script mod, don’t separate the files and keep them in the same folder. You can place this folder in the Mods folder. Of course you will need to enable script mods to work with script mods. Make sure the ts4script files are at most one level deep in the Mods file (eg Mods/ModName/.ts4script file).
- zip script mods: If you’ve opened a zip file and see a .pyc file inside, you don’t need to unzip the folder or move the files. Move the entire zip to the Mods folder.
Other file types, such as images and .txt files, are not loaded by the game and can be discarded, but you can keep them for future reference. Once you know where each file is supposed to go, the process is simple:
- Open the zipped file.
- Open the appropriate destination in file explorer.
- Drag the files from the zip to the destination.
- Wait for the zipper to process the items.
Some download files are .exe files. Mostly it is a virus and should be avoided. However, if the creator of the mod can be trusted (as well as the site where you downloaded it), you can keep it.
The app usually installs everything automatically and gives you the instructions to complete the installation process. Advanced modders use application files to make more complex content that works with different file types and adds more functionality, but these tend to be rare.
manage the game
Once the mods are installed on your device, restart the game. If you use custom lots or items, you will the Show custom content box when you browse the gallery, lots and buy menus.
How to Install Mods in Sims 4 on Mac
The process of installing the mods on a Mac device is essentially the same as the steps required for a PC:
- Go to the game and activate the mods and custom content.
- Download the mod you want from the internet.
- wear Finder to locate the Mods folder (Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4/Mods).
- Extract the mod from the downloaded file and copy the files to the Mods folder. Do not unpack script mods that work in zip files (most modders will notify you of these mods).
We recommend to Archive tool to extract the downloaded files for use.
How to install mods in Sims 4 on PS4
Unfortunately, Sims 4 does not have mod support for the PS4. Games generally have minimal modding options on consoles, and games that allow you to modify the gameplay are a minority. The developer has no current plans to enable custom content on the PS4, so don’t get your hopes up.
How to install mods in Sims 4 on Xbox
Similar to the PS4 situation, Sims 4 does not allow mods on the Xbox console. With only a select few games allowing minor mod support (like Skyrim), console games are relatively hostile to modding due to different OS requirements and setups.
If you want to play Sims 4 with custom content, your only options are to play on a PC (Windows or Mac).
How To Install Mods In Sims 4 Cracked
We usually do not support players who play pirated games. Mods also take it to the next level. Since pirated (or cracked) game versions are often slightly outdated or have some different installation files, there is no guarantee that mods that work for legitimate Sims 4 copies will work for pirated ones.
If you do want to try, the same process applies whether you’re using a cracked version of the game or a genuine copy. Your Sims 4 documents file may be located in a different location, courtesy of the installation.
How to install mods in Sims 4 on Origin
Origin doesn’t have a standalone mod database or a way to automatically keep your mod library updated. The only possible advantage is that you can access the game files from the Origin client:
- open Originthen go to the game library.
- Right click on Sims 4 in your Origin library and select find game.
However, Origin won’t be able to find your Documents folder where the Mods files are supposed to go, so the help it offers is minimal.
How to install mods in Sims 4 on Steam
Whether you use Steam or Origin to play the game, the process for downloading the mods does not change. Since Steam hasn’t enabled the Workshop for Origin games, you can’t keep a list of mods directly on the platform and have to download each mod manually.
Mod Troubleshooting Guide
Once you start downloading mods, you may not want to stop. However, you should note that some mods don’t play well with others. In severe cases, the game will not work properly at all. Here are some tips on how to get the most out of mods while avoiding crashes:
- Backup mods before an update: Game updates are the banes of all modders. Some mods stop working, while others are not affected. Sometimes the game library is refreshed and removes all mods from the computer. When you need to update Sims 4, copy the mod files to another folder.
- Use the Repair Tool: The built-in repair tool in the Steam or Origin client will refresh your local files and remove any corrupted files. In some cases, this can fix mods that have stopped working.
- Clear the cache files: In the Sims 4 Documents folder, you will see folders named “cache” and “cachestr”. These folders contain temporary files and information. Removing their content may allow Sims 4 to refresh mods and fix some issues.
- Check for mod updates: If a mod doesn’t work because of a game update, chances are the creator has made a new version that fixes the problem. You need to remove the previous version of the mod and start from scratch with a new one. Sometimes the removal of the case is also necessary.
- Check for mod incompatibility: If you use multiple mods, try using only half of them at a time to see if the problems persist. Changing the selection of mods you use at once can show which mod is the culprit. In some cases, the underlying game programming means that some mods simply won’t work together at all, and you’ll have to choose which ones to keep.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
How do you enable mods in Sims 4?
Here’s what you need to do:
• Start the game.
• In the main menu, click on the three dots icon in the upper right corner to view the Game options.
• Click on the other tab.
• Check the box Enable custom content and modes.
• If you use script mods, also check Script mods allowed. The game will show a warning when using script mods. Click on Accept.
• Pressure Apply changes and exit the game.
Where can I find mods for Sims 4?
Next, you need to download the mod from the internet. While we can’t tell you where to look, there are plenty of online resources for Sims 4 mods and CC. You don’t have to pay for any mods (although some mods will accept donations, as content development can take days of work). Popular content libraries include Mod The Sims and Sims resourcebut you can find them on social media or through popular YouTube sims.
How do you get custom content in Sims 4?
Custom content is similar to mods. You will be able to find them in the same mod repositories. The main difference is that mods can change how the base game works, while custom content only changes the aesthetics of the game and does not affect the underlying game mechanics.
wear Sims resource or follow your favorite online farts on social media and follow their posts to get the best personalized content.
How do you download mods for Sims 4?
Once you find a mod you like, download it through your browser. Most browsers have a default download folder (which you can change) and a section to find items you’ve downloaded. For Chrome, press “Ctrl + J” to open the download screen directly.
Get more out of Sims 4 with mods
Mods are a great way to further customize your Sims’ lives and bring new challenges and items to the game. You will usually have more trouble finding the content you like and installing it in the game. That’s part of Sims 4’s charm. With so many community members, new custom content is available regularly.
What are your favorite Sims 4 mods? Let us know in the comments section below.