Due to its enormous popularity, many people try Fortnite just to see what all the fuss is about. They create an account, put in a silly username, and then start playing without expecting too much from the game. However, if they want to keep playing, they often regret the name they originally chose. Others just want to change a username that they now consider boring.
In this article, we will show you how to change your username on Fortnite for all platforms.
How to change your username for Fortnite on an Android device
If you are using the mobile version of Fortnite, changing the username is a simple process. Since the game itself doesn’t have a dedicated website, and relies on the Epic Games webpage for all of its settings, you’ll need to change it there. To do this, follow these instructions:
- Open your mobile browser of choice and go to the fortnite website.
- If you haven’t signed in to your account, you can do so now. If you’re already signed in, skip to Step 7. Otherwise, you can sign in by tapping the three lines icon in the top right corner of your screen. Tap up sign up.
- Tap the icon of your desired login method.
- Enter your username and password, then tap Sign up now.
- Once you’re logged in, you’ll be back on the home page. Tap the three lines icon at the top right of the screen, then tap your username.
- Tap the menu that appears account.
- Scroll down to Account Settings. You will see your display name grayed out. Tap on the edit button to the right of it. This is the blue pencil button.
- Type the desired username and then re-enter it in the confirm display name text box. Then tap up confirm.
- Your display name should now be changed. You can navigate out of this screen and continue playing.
How to change your username for Fortnite on an iPhone
Changing usernames on mobile is not cross-platform as the change takes place on the Epic Games Accounts page and not on the app. To change your username on an iPhone, follow the instructions given above. They are one and the same. The only difference is that you use Safari instead of another web browser.
How to change your username for Fortnite on an Xbox One
For console users, their display names are not linked to their Epic Games account. Instead, they depend on their console service providers. For Xbox One, this means that your Fortnite display name is linked to your Xbox Gamertag. It should be noted that changing your Xbox Gamertag changes it for all games, not just Fortnite. To do this, follow these steps:
- Use your controller and hold the Xbox button.
- Navigate to Profile and systemthen select your existing Gamertag.
- choose My profile.
- Choose Customize profile.
- Among the Select new Gamertag tab, type in the new Gamertag you want to use. Alternatively, you can choose one of the suggested Gamertags given. You can select More suggestions if you want to see another set of suggested usernames.
- Choose Check Availability to see if the Gamertag has already been taken. If it is, choose a different name, or edit it so that it becomes unique. If it is not used by someone else, confirm your choice.
- You can now navigate from the system screen.
Change Gamertag with a browser
- On your net browser, make you Microsoft account.
- Click on your username.
- Scroll down and click on Go to your Xbox profile.
- Click on Customize profile.
- Click on the Change gamertag icon to the right of your Gamertag.
- Alternatively, you can proceed directly to the change Gamertag screen by clicking on this link.
- Enter your new Gamertag and then click on Check Availability. If it isn’t, change it until you find one. Otherwise, click on Change gamertag.
- Your Gamertag should now be changed.
How to change your username for Fortnite on a PS4
Like the Xbox, the PlayStation 4 relies on the PSN name as the game’s username. If you want to change it in Fortnite, you’ll need to change your PSN name. Remember, this also changes it for all your other games on the PlayStation Network. Here’s how it’s done:
- On the home page of your PS4, go to Institutions.
- choose Account management from the menu.
- Choose Account Information.
- Scroll down and then select profile.
- Choose an online ID.
- Click i accept on the window that appears. Remember that you are changing the name for your entire PSN account. Any other game whose progress is linked to that ID may have its records deleted. If you are ok with this, click on continue.
- You will be able to enter your new online ID here. You can do it now or choose one of the suggestions on the right. If you want to see more suggestions, click on refresh.
- Once you have entered your new Online ID, click on confirm. If the ID is not available, you will have to enter a new one until you find one that is not in use.
- Navigate out of this screen. Your name should have been changed by now.
Change online ID on a browser
- Open you up Playstation Network account. Select PSN Profile from the menu.
- Click the edit button next to your online ID.
- Enter your desired online ID or select from the given suggestions.
- Follow the directions that appear. Once you have changed your online ID, click on confirm.
How to change your username for Fortnite on Windows or Mac
Changing the display name on a PC or Mac is very similar, as the change is done through the Epic Games website.
- Continue to the Epic Games website use the browser of your choice.
- Hover over your username. It is located in the upper right part of the web page. On the menu that appears, click on account.
- On the generals tab, you will find yourself display name under Account Information. Click on the Edit button next to it.
- Type your new in the window that appears display name, then click on confirm.
- your display name must be changed now. You can now close the website.
How to change your username for Fortnite on a Nintendo Switch
Fortnite on the Nintendo Switch also uses the Epic Games account Display Name. To change it, you need to visit the Epic Games website. You can do this by accessing the page through a PC or Mac or even your mobile device. Once you have opened the website, follow the steps outlined above for changing usernames via a computer.
Upgrading console accounts to full Epic Games account
If you play Fortnite on console or on multiple platforms and are not registered with Epic Games, you may want to consider upgrading to a full account. It allows you to transfer progress from one console to another. Since Fortnite offers Crossplay compatibility, this might be a good idea. To do it:
- On a web browser, continue to the Epic Games website.
- Make sure you are currently logged out. If not, log out now.
- Click on the top right of the screen sign up.
- Select the icon of the platform you have an account on, either Xbox or PSN. If you have a Nintendo Switch, this can also be selected.
- You will be redirected to your platform’s account. Enter your credentials. Once done, you will be redirected to Epic Games. Note, if you are not brought back to Epic Games, it means that this account has no progress data. Double check that you are signed in to the correct account.
- Enter the required details and then click on create account.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the more frequently asked questions about Fortnite usernames:
1. Is it free to change your Fortnite username?
The answer to this depends on which platform you use. If you use the mobile version, Android or iOS, it’s completely free. This also applies to the Nintendo Switch version. The desktop version also offers a free name change. Because your username change is linked to Epic Games, you don’t have to pay for any additional display name changes you make.
The same is not true if you use the console versions for Xbox and PS4. Changing your account name will only be free if you are changing your Gamertag or PSN name for the first time. Any additional changes will have to be paid for. Both Xbox and PlayStation charge fees for additional modifications after the first. Each change currently costs $10.00 per change on both platforms.
2. How often can you change your Fortnite username?
If you change your username with the Epic Games account, you can do this once every two weeks. This means that if you use Android, iOS, Nintendo Switch or PC, you will have to wait two weeks after each change.
Since PlayStation and Xbox charge users for account name changes, they can do it as often as they want.
Change Fortnite usernames
There can be several reasons why someone wants to change their username on Fortnite. There are those who want to change usernames that have been invented at the moment or want a new one because the old one has become obsolete. Doing so is a fairly simple process, as long as you know the steps to follow.
Have you ever faced problems on how to change your username on Fortnite? Did you use a method not listed above? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.